In this day and age, we are no longer strangers to the term POD (Print-on-Demand) or E-commerce platform. It's all over the Internet now, especially since the horrific pandemic, online shopping has steadily positioned itself as the #1 candidate to meet the high demand of consumers all over the world. If you are an absolute beginner in this field and really want to make money with this kind of business, this post is for you. We will provide you with the most exclusive definition and step by step to run your business and address the question "What are some common payment methods for Print-On-Demand products", which is always one of the most concerning issues for beginners.
What is POD (Print-on-Demand)?
Definition of Print on demand?
The E-commerce business model known as Print on Demand (POD) involves collaborating with a print provider to create customized products that are sold on a pre-order basis under your own brand. This approach is comparable to dropshipping, in which products are only printed after customers place orders, eliminating the need to maintain a stockpile of inventory. Furthermore, when partnering with a POD company, they take care of everything from printing, counting, and packaging, to shipping the products after the sale. POD companies are also beneficial for testing new product lines or business ideas without the potential risks associated with purchasing inventory.
Some best-selling products in POD
Starting an online t-shirt business is always a viable option as t-shirts are versatile garments suitable for all seasons. Unlike seasonal clothing like swimwear and sweaters that are only relevant in specific weather conditions, t-shirts can be worn all year round. During summer, t-shirts can be worn as a single layer, and in the colder months, they can be worn under heavier clothing.
Given their popularity, there are various types of t-shirts available on product-sourcing apps, which can be overwhelming for beginners.
Similar to t-shirts, mugs are a highly sought-after print-on-demand product due to their versatility and frequent use. Although mug sales peak during the holiday season, they generally remain steady throughout the year.
To increase sales, it's important to offer creative and unique mug options. For instance, colorful mugs with interior designs are popular among customers. Additionally, enamel mugs are currently trendy, resembling the classic tin cup often used for camping, and can feature fun designs and slogans.
- Tote bags
Tote bags are an excellent print-on-demand product to include in your store since they are easy to design. The designs are printed on a flat, rectangular surface, which allows for easy scaling, adaptation, and repurposing of designs from other print-on-demand items. Additionally, you can offer matching tote bags as an upsell or cross-sell to increase sales.
Backpacks are distinctive print-on-demand products that can be sold in your e-commerce store. They exhibit a discernible sales pattern, reaching their highest sales during the summer months (from May to August), and then gradually declining throughout the rest of the year.
- Phone cases
Creating a phone case business is a straightforward process with the availability of customizable phone cases from print-on-demand (POD) companies. These cases are relatively inexpensive to produce and offer the freedom to design them according to one's preference. Additionally, they can generate higher profit margins compared to jewelry or clothing.
Furthermore, there is a constant demand for phone cases since people require them either for new phones or as replacements for their old cases. The demand for phone cases remains consistent year-round, with occasional spikes during the holiday season.
How does POD operate?
For those who have just begun their business with Print-on-demand, below is the process typically works.
- Product selection: Choose the products you want to offer, such as t-shirts, mugs, tote bags, or phone cases.
- Design creation: Create or commission designs for the products. You can use graphic design software to create designs or hire a designer to create them for you.
- Integration with POD platform: Integrate the design with the POD platform of your choice, such as Printful, Printify, or Gooten.
- Publish products: Publish the products on your website or e-commerce platform, and customers can purchase them.
- Order fulfillment: After a customer places an order, the POD company prints, counts, packages, and ships the product to the customer on your behalf.
POD companies handle all aspects of the printing process, from printing the design on the product to shipping it directly to the customer. This model eliminates the need for holding inventory or managing product fulfillment, which reduces the risks and costs associated with traditional e-commerce models. Additionally, because the products are only printed after an order is placed, businesses can offer a broader range of products without worrying about stocking up on inventory.
What are some common payment methods for Print-On-Demand products?
POD (Print-on-Demand) enterprises provide customers with a plethora of payment methods. Below are some common payment methods for POD products:
- Credit or debit cards: Most POD companies such as Printerval.com, Printify, etc. accept payments made with major credit or debit cards, such as Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover.
- PayPal: Many POD companies also allow customers to pay using PayPal, which is a secure online payment system that enables users to send and receive payments without sharing their financial information. This is also a very popular payment option that is preferred by most e-commerce business owners.
- Apple Pay and Google Pay: These payment methods are becoming more popular and some POD companies accept payments made through mobile wallets like Apple Pay or Google Pay.
- Bank transfers: Some POD companies allow customers to pay using bank transfers or wire transfers.
- Buy now, pay later services: Some POD companies offer financing options that allow customers to pay for their products over time using services like Klarna or Afterpay.
It's important to note that payment methods may vary depending on the POD company you choose to work with. It's a good idea to check the payment options available before choosing a POD provider.
Useful tips for Print-on-demand beginners
POD (Print-on-Demand) is an excellent option for selling customized items online without the hassle of managing inventory. To ensure the success of your POD business, consider the following tips:
- Choose products wisely
Conduct audience research to determine the types of products that will sell well to your target audience.
- Order samples
Request samples from your POD supplier to assess the quality of their printing and the specific items you want to sell.
- Create mockups
Generate mockups of your products to showcase on your website. Potential buyers are more likely to purchase if they can visualize the item.
- Carefully select your e-commerce store and POD supplier
Choose partners that communicate well and are compatible with each other.
- Establish a returns policy
Create a returns policy that suits your bespoke items since these are customized-made products. It is important to have clear terms and conditions for customer returns.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your print-on-demand business is successful and profitable.
In conclusion, print-on-demand companies offer a variety of payment options to their customers, including credit/debit cards, PayPal, mobile wallets, bank transfers, and buy now, pay later services. It's essential to choose a POD company that provides the payment options your customers prefer. Offering multiple payment methods can increase your conversion rates and attract more customers to your store. By partnering with a reliable and flexible POD supplier that offers a variety of payment options, you can provide a seamless purchasing experience for your customers and grow your business.
Print-on-demand is really worth it. For more useful content relating to POD such as "How long does it take for Print-On-Demand products to be delivered?" or "How do customers customize or personalize their Print-On-Demand products?", subscribe to Printerval now.